- The Netherlands divided drugs into more- and less-dangerous categories, with cannabis being in the lesser category. Accordingly, possession of 30 grams or less was made a misdemeanor.
- Nepal canceled the licenses of all cannabis shops, dealers, and farmers, under pressure from the United States and the international community.
- Afghanistan's King Zahir Shah outlawed cannabis production, followed by a genuine commitment to eradication, backed by $47 million in funding from the United States government.
- Comoros' Ali Soilih seized power, and among other radical reforms to gain the support of youth, legalized cannabis in Comoros.
- South Korea passed the Cannabis Control Act.
- Paraguay decriminalized personal possession of 10 grams of cannabis or less.
- Bangladesh banned the sale of cannabis.
- Lebanon banned and eradicates cannabis, under US pressure.
- California becomes the first jurisdiction in the United States to legalize cannabis for medicinal use (Proposition 215).
- Poland criminalized possession of cannabis.
- Luxembourg decriminalized cannabis.
- Canada legalized medical cannabis.
- Portugal decriminalized all drugs, including cannabis.
- Belgium decriminalized cannabis.
- The United Kingdom re-classified cannabis as a Class C (less-harmful) drug, before restoring it to Class B in 2009.
- Chile decriminalized cannabis.
- Russia reduced the limits for criminal possession of many drugs, with the criminal threshold for cannabis being reduced from 20 to 6 grams for cannabis and 5 to 2 grams for hashish.
- Brazil decriminalized possession and cultivation of personal amounts of cannabis.
- Austria legalized medical cannabis.
- Mexico decriminalized possession of up to 5 grams of cannabis.
- Argentina decriminalized cannabis.
- The Czech Republic reduced the penalty for small possession and up to five cannabis plants to a misdemeanor.
- Denmark approves several cannabis-derived drugs for medical use.
- Switzerland decriminalized possession of 10 grams or less to a fine.
- Colombia decriminalized possession of 20 grams or less.
- Washington State and Colorado voters vote to legalize recreational cannabis; beginning of green rush.
- Croatia decriminalized possession of cannabis.
- Uruguay legalized cannabis, becoming the first country in the modern era to explicitly do so.
- Italy legalized medical cannabis.
- Romania became the tenth EU country to legalize medical cannabis.
- The Czech Republic legalized cannabis for medical use.
- France legalized the sale of medications containing cannabis derivatives.
- Malta decriminalized cannabis.
- Colombia legalized medical cannabis.
- Croatia legalized cannabis-based drugs for specified medical purposes.
- Jamaica decriminalized possession of up to 2 ounces of cannabis and legalized the cultivation for the personal use of up to 5 plants.
- Austria decriminalized possession of small amounts of cannabis.
- North Macedonia legalized medical cannabis.
- Australia legalized medicinal cannabis at the federal level.
- Poland legalized medical cannabis.
- Norway made allowances for medical cannabis.
- Georgia's Supreme Court ruled that imprisonment for possession of small amounts of cannabis is unconstitutional.
- Germany legalized medical cannabis.
- Cyprus legalized the medical use of cannabis oil for advanced-stage cancer patients.
- Belize decriminalized possession or use of 10 grams or less on private premises.
- Greece legalized medical cannabis.
- Mexico legalized medical cannabis having a THC content of 1% or less.
- Peru legalized cannabis oil for medical use.
- Luxembourg legalized medical cannabis extracts.
- Lesotho granted modern Africa's first medical cannabis license.
- Georgia decriminalized cannabis.
- Denmark legalized cannabis-based medicines.
- Malta legalized medicinal cannabis with a prescription.
- Portugal legalized medical cannabis.
- Zimbabwe legalized cannabis for medical and scientific purposes.
- Canada legalized cannabis.
- Thailand legalized medical cannabis.
- South Africa decriminalized cannabis.
- Ireland legalized medical cannabis as part of a 5-year pilot program.
- Israel decriminalized cannabis.
- Trinidad and Tobago decriminalized cannabis allowing up to 30 grams per individual and cultivation of 4 plants per household.
- Australian Capital Territory legalized cannabis possession and growth for personal use.
- Malawi legalized medical cannabis.
- Lebanon legalized medical cannabis.